Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
- Butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- Pinch of cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 pieces raw turkey bacon or 4 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup of crumbled cotija cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch cast iron skillet or a 9-inch round or square baking dish. Add the dry macaroni.
- In a blender, purée the milk, cottage cheese, chipotle chile, garlic, mustard powder, cumin, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Pour the milk mixture over the dry macaroni. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese (2/3 of the cheddar and 2/3 of the Monterey Jack.)
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, stir the macaroni, and top with the remaining cup of cheese and the (turkey) bacon, if using.
- Bake the macaroni, uncovered, for another 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbling.
- Remove the macaroni from the oven and top with the crumbled cotija cheese, if desired.