Decadent Chocolate Coconut Pie Recipe
- Ganache Ingredients
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Coconut Cream Filling Ingredients
- 1 can coconut milk
- heavy cream (enough added to coconut milk to make 3 cups)
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 recipe graham cracker crust (or whatever crust you’d like!)
- fresh whipped cream, lightly sweetened
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted*
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 12 graham crackers, crushed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- For the Graham Cracker Crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Finely crush the graham crackers in a medium sized bowl. Stir in sugar. Drizzle in butter and mix with fork until well combined. Firmly press into pie plate. Bake for 13-15 minutes, just until crust barely starts to brown. Cool completely before filling.
- For the Ganache: Place chocolate chips in a heat-safe, medium sized bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil. Pour boiling cream over chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Spread onto the prepared pie crust. Place in fridge or freezer to cool and solidify completely.
- For the Coconut Cream Filling: Mix coconut milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium sized saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. The mixture will become very thick. This may take as long as 10-15 minutes. Below you can see what the custard looks like once it’s all ready to go:
- Once it reaches this consistency remove from heat and stir in coconut and vanilla extracts. Spread over cooled ganache layer and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut*.
- *To toast coconut, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread coconut flakes onto baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring and tossing often until lightly browned.