Lemon Blueberry Cornbread Skillet
- 1 cup cornmeal $0.24
- 1 cup all-purpose flour $0.14
- ⅓ cup sugar $0.05
- 4 tsp baking powder $0.12
- ½ tsp salt $0.03
- Zest from one lemon (about 1 Tbsp) $0.75
- 1 cup milk $0.62
- 1 large egg $0.17
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil $0.28
- ½ cup frozen blueberries $0.44
- 1 Tbsp butter $0.09
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and the zest from one lemon (about 1 Tbsp). Using your hands, massage the lemon zest into the dry mixture a bit to help release the flavorful oils.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and egg. Pour the whisked wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir just until the dry mixture is completely moistened. A few lumps are okay.
- Use one tablespoon of butter to grease the inside of a cast iron skillet, a 9-inch pie dish, or an 8×8 casserole dish. Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the frozen blueberries over top of the batter and then use your finger to push them down into the batter.
- Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes, or until the top and sides are light golden brown. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.