Marinated Kale, White Bean, and Tomato Salad
- ½ lb. pre-washed and chopped kale (or one large bunch) $1.50
- 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
- ¼ cup water $0.00
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes $0.99
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans (navy, cannellini, etc.) $1.19
LEMON GARLIC DRESSING
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice $0.09
- 2 cloves garlic, minced $0.16
- ½ tsp dried oregano $0.05
- ½ tsp salt $0.03
- Freshly cracked pepper $0.05
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the washed and chopped kale, along with ¼ cup of water to help it steam. Cook and stir the kale for 3-5 minutes, or just until it has wilted and is soft, but still vibrant green in color. Use tongs to transfer the kale to a bowl (leaving any remaining water behind). Let the kale cool in the refrigerator as you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Empty the can of beans into a colander and rinse well under cool running water. Allow the excess water to drain from the beans. Dice the tomatoes.
- To make the dressing, combine the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and a healthy dose of freshly cracked pepper. Set the dressing aside.
- Once the kale has cooled slightly, add the rinsed and drained beans, diced tomatoes, and dressing. Toss the ingredients together until everything is evenly combined and coated in dressing. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat. Give the salad a good stir to redistribute the dressing before serving.