Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe
Chicken & Sauce
- 1.5lb / 750g chicken breast, skinless boneless (~3 halves)
- ½ cup Chipotles in Adobo Sauce (4 chillies + sauce) (Note 1)
- 14oz/400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp EACH dried oregano, cumin powder and onion powder (or garlic powder)
- 2 tsp sugar (any)
- ¾ tsp salt (Note 2)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (Note 3)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Slow Cooker: Place Chicken & Sauce ingredients in the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on low. The chicken is ready when it can be shredded easily with 2 forks but it should NOT be mushy (i.e. overcooked).
- Pressure cooker: 35 minutes on high.
- Stove: Place Chicken & Sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and add 1 cup water. Simmer covered on medium low for 40 – 50 minutes, turning chicken occasionally, until chicken can be shredded with 2 forks.
- Remove chicken and shred. Set aside.
- Add lime juice (to taste) and 1 tbsp olive oil to the sauce. Use a stick blender (or transfer to blender) to puree the sauce. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. You should have about 2 cups of sauce.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ⅓ to ½ the chicken and fry until dark golden brown on one side, flip and cook the other side very briefly (don’t brown), then remove. Use 1 tbsp oil for each batch you fry.
- Toss chicken in the sauce OR serve it on the side.
- Use for tacos (guacamole and Pico de Gallo), enchiladas, burritos, on green Mexican rice,quesadillas, sliders, on tostadas.