Pumpkin-Brownie Swirl Pie
For the brownie filling:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pie plate
- 1 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the pumpkin filling:
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and side of a 91/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Make the brownie filling: Heat the butter, chocolate chips and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the butter and chocolate are melted. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla, whisking until smooth. Whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Pour about one-third of the brownie batter into the prepared pie plate; set aside the remaining batter. Bake until just starting to set and the top is shiny, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pumpkin filling: Combine the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, egg, granulated sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a medium bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin filling over the warm brownie layer. Stir 1 tablespoon water into the remaining brownie batter, then spoon the batter (in about 6 scoops) onto the pumpkin filling. Use the back of the spoon to pull the brownie batter into the pumpkin filling and create a swirled pattern. Bake until the pie is set, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Serve with vanilla ice cream.