Three Pepper Pasta with Crispy Pepperoni
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
- 3oz. pepperoni (half of a 6oz. package) $1.99
- 2 cloves garlic $0.16
- 1 green bell pepper $0.69
- 1 red bell pepper $1.79
- ½ cup mild banana pepper rings $0.95
- 24oz. pasta sauce $1.00
- ½ tsp dried basil $0.05
- ½ tsp dried oregano $0.05
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes (optional) $0.02
- 1 lb. thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta $1.55
- Thinly slice the green and red bell peppers. Remove about ½ cup of the banana peppers from the brine. Set the peppers aside until ready to use.
- Begin to boil a large pot of water for the pasta. Break the long pasta in half and then add it to the boiling water. Cook until al dente, then drain in a colander.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pepperoni and sauté the slices until they become crispy on the edges (about 5 minutes). Remove the crispy pepperoni to a plate covered with paper towel to drain.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the oil in the skillet. Sauté for about one minute or just until the garlic is soft and fragrant, but not brown. Add the sliced peppers and continue to sauté for 5-7 minutes more, or until the peppers have just begun to soften.
- Add the pasta sauce, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes to the skillet with the peppers. Stir to combine and allow the sauce to heat through.
- Return the drained pasta to the large pot, then add the pasta sauce and peppers. Stir until everything is evenly combined and coated in sauce. Add the crispy pepperoni and stir to combine again. Serve warm.